The Management Controls Specialist is responsible for the continuous monitoring of the internal control processes to ensure compliance with operational and regulatory requirements. Preparation of workpapers and reports documenting the results of assigned activities and tracking of areas where management action is required. This position works closely with operations, information technology and other business units so that the individual develops quality assurance processes that sufficiently identify and mitigate operational risk. This person at times will assist with the execution of Operational and Compliance Audits lead by the department’s Risk and Control group. This position will report to Management Controls Program Manager.
Position: Management Controls Program Specialist
Organizational: This position is a member of the Business Risk Office - Management Control Program, and reports to the Manager Control Program Manager.
• Execution of defined continuous monitoring projects as prescribed in the Business Risk Office annual plan.
• Performing periodic tests of operating effectiveness of internal controls and procedures as directed.
• Prepares summary or results for inclusion in weekly dashboard reporting including documentation of resolution of open items to the affected business units.
• Collaborate effectively across multiple departments and business units to maximize organizational awareness, adherence, understanding and support for process and testing requirements.
• Demonstrate the ability to be recognized as a leader, management consultant and internal controls expert; develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with operations’ and information systems’ management, learning and understanding the business to better provide value-added services, help management achieve objectives, and enhance customer satisfaction.
• Support Business Risk Office change initiatives and contribute to control awareness and be an example control ownership and responsibility.
• Reviews, appraises and tests the internal controls surrounding key business processes to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Identifies and effectively communicates, both verbally and in writing, audit results, control weaknesses, process or company risk, business productivity and efficiency opportunities, departmental vision, and any other relevant matters to management or other applicable parties.
• Represents the management controls program on organizational project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations.
• Perform other duties as requested.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or a related field or comparable work experience required.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in an environment that provides exposure to operational and/or compliance audit techniques. Equivalent experience in an operational capacity is acceptable in lieu of direct audit experience.
• PC proficient in MS Word and Excel is required.
• Strong organization skills.
• Communication skills, verbal and written, capable of expressing issues to a broad audience.
• Demonstrate critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Working knowledge of various credit origination systems, automated underwriting including credit scoring systems, and credit underwriting practices in consumer lending products is desirable.
• Good understanding of collection activities and call center operations.
• Self-starter who can demonstrate the ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, work with minimal supervision all while contributing to the success of the team.
• Ability to work in close partnership with others in Compliance, Legal and Audit as a team player, as well as business and corporate counterparts.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication and resource management skills.